Thursday 18 February 2016

Powerful writing


The best stories are those which show the writers’ instinctive understanding for the way readers can be moved.
What do I mean? Well, in my view, good writing is about triggers. What is the point if the reader gets to the end of your story, shrugs and goes to make a cup of tea, their life unchanged by your efforts?
How much better if, before they go and make that cup of tea, they sit for a few moments and think back on what they have read?
Maybe they will feel emotional, maybe they will feel moved to tears, maybe they will say a silent prayer for a remembered loved one, maybe they will smile at memories, maybe they will laugh at jokes just read, maybe they simply cared for the people in the story they just read. As long as they feel something.
Tales that bring forth such reactions often draw in some way on the writer’s own experiences but they also trigger something in readers they have never met.
We all have those triggers inside us. Fears, insecurities, emotions, experiences. Like everyone, I have had, still have, deep sadness in my life. Loved ones lost and damaged, deaths witnessed, things unsaid, lives un-lived. So when I read some stories, they trigger something deep within me. For others, different stories will move them and in different ways.
Now, I am not saying that to succeed all a story needs is power - we should never lose sight of craft - but if it has the ability to move someone somewhere then it’s achieved something special.
I think that sometimes writers forget the power in our hands when we pick up that pen, switch on that computer. Yes, it’s fiction but in so many stories you can see the truth running through it.
That is certainly the case with my own writing. In a way, my characters tell parts of my life story. Changed, adapted, developed but part of my life story for all that. Does it trigger something in the reader? Do you know, I reckon it might just do for some of them. Not all of them but for some.
 
John Dean

No comments:

Post a Comment