Thursday 11 September 2014

Taking inspiration from the routine

I have always thought - and I know I will be shot down for this in some quarters - that writers view the world differently.

Talking to writers bears that out, though, the way a word, a phrase, an image, an idea can create a train of thought that evolves into a story.

I was talking to a writer the other day and he told how a line in a conversation triggered something deep within and produced a story.

Never is that process more pronounced, in my view, than when writers take something ordinary, routine, part of our daily lives, and present it in a way that is different.

Why am I thinking this? Well, two recent stories entered into our competition took routine images and presented them in ways that made for good storytelling.

John Dean

No comments:

Post a Comment