Friday 11 July 2014

The role of place in fiction

Rural Northumberland
We receive Global Short Story Competition entries from all over the world and this allows me, from time to time, to return to a theme which greatly interests me.
I have always believed that writers respond strongly to landscapes. While acknowledging that authors come into stories from different angles - characters, concepts, ideas - I believe that place has to be a major trigger. The major trigger for some.
I am sure that writers in scenic areas are inspired to create stories by the fabulous landscape and the extremes of weather, for example.
As a writer based in Northern England, for example, I am inspired by the Northern hills, which brought forth my character Jack Harris, who has featured in three of my novels.
Plenty of time to enter the July competition by going to www.inscribemedia.co.uk

John Dean

No comments:

Post a Comment