Tuesday 25 June 2013

Seven stories or seventy?

I am getting quite interested in this idea that there are seven basic plots in literature and that all stories derive from them. Trouble is, no one seems to be able to agree on what they are! When I researched this, I came up with one theory that they are: overcoming the monster;

rags to riches;

the quest;

voyage and return;

comedy;

tragedy;

rebirth.

Another site came up with a series of ideas based around Man versus - Man versus the environment, Man versus technology, Man versus - you get the idea.

As for me, my stories are variances of basic themes -

the power of revenge,

the power of family,

the power of money,

the power of ambition,

the power of love,

the power of blind faith,

the power of failed society.
So, I have started a discussion at our Facebook page http://www.facebook.com/pages/Inscribemedia/183385438479538 

asking what are your seven stories? Which themes do you keep coming back to, either consciously or sub-consciously?

No comments:

Post a Comment