Monday 13 May 2013

When did you know you wanted to be a writer?

Here’s a question for you. I came across an essay by the great writer George Orwell in which he said: “From a very early age, perhaps the age of five or six, I knew that when I grew up I should be a writer. Between the ages of about seventeen and twenty-four I tried to abandon this idea, but I did so with the consciousness that I was outraging my true nature and that sooner or later I should have to settle down and write books.” Here’s the question. When did you know you wanted to be a writer? To kick things off, I reckon I was also five or six when I knew. I was lucky - my folks encouraged me and I had two teachers, one at primary, Judith Kent, and one at secondary, Tom Cowley, who helped me chase my dream.
You can tell us your experience on our Facebook page, to be found at http://www.facebook.com/pages/Inscribemedia/183385438479538 or through www.inscribemedia.co.uk

No comments:

Post a Comment